Wednesday, January 04, 2006

More On Knight-Ridder Etc.

After further thought I think I've put my finger on what it is exactly about yesterday's broadcast that I found vaguely annoying. Bluntly, people seemed to be in agreement that the quality of news content is decreasing, but nobody took the analysis further than "market forces". "The market" isn't some self-willed entity, it's just this abstraction that we use to talk about collective purchasing decisions. And the collective purchasing decisions right now tend to favor crap. Why didn't anyone come out and say "'real news' is in decline because people like reading crap, what are we going to do about it?". It's not like that's a particularly new or controversial statement, though I conceed that it may not have been touched upon due to time limitations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Information Profile for gg00