Wednesday, February 15, 2006

More Than Keeping Things Clean

I've been following an ongoing conversation about the division of housework amongst men and women, most recently on Pandagon. I've a bunch of minor quibbles about various points that people have been making, but I'll not go into that here. The thing I noticed is that the discussion seems to be centering around housecleaning and, to a lesser extent, other items like cooking and childrearing. Maybe I'm atypical, but I also spend a lot of my time on "administrative" activities such as paying bills and responding to the more- and less-reasonable demands of the city government. As a matter of fairness all-around these sorts of activities need to be taken into consideration as well; the assumption that running a house is limited to physical activities like cooking and cleaning is a relic of the same 50's era standard which people are otherwise rejecting. Running a household these days is more complex than it was in the 50's, so its important that people update their notion of "housework" as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Information Profile for gg00