Friday, May 11, 2007

General Bitching About Microsoft

My business laptop was acting all creaky and broken due to general bitrot, so I decided to bite the bullet and do a clean install. While I was at it I figured I could make my life easier by virtualizing my Windows install and moving non-business funtions into a Linux OS.

I'm happy to say that the virtualization process is working smashingly. I've got VMWare Server running on a fresh install of CentOS 5 and am now going through the process of reinstalling all of my apps in the Windows VM. Now the bitching.

I reinstalled in part because Microsoft Update was acting broken and taking forever to scan for updates. I find now, with a brand-spanking new Windows install, Microsoft Update still behaves like it's broken. Only now its not because the OS is old but rather because the OS sucks. Bleh...

My only complaint with CentOS 5 so far is that to virtualize Windows you have to have some special CPU features which my laptop is lacking. Otherwise I'd bypass the VMWare and run the virtualization natively.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Information Profile for gg00