Saturday, June 09, 2007

Maybe There's Something To Obama After All

Hear hear:

In last Sunday night's debate, Wolf Blitzer asked the candidates to raise their hands if they supported making English the official language of the United States. Only Mike Gravel raised his hand. Then Barack Obama spoke up:
OBAMA: Can I just make a point, though?
BLITZER: All right.
OBAMA: I have to say that that kind of question...
(APPLAUSE)
BLITZER: All right, hold on.
OBAMA: ... this is the kind of question that is designed precisely to divide us. You know, you're right. Everybody is going to learn to speak English if they live in this country. The issue is not whether or not future generations of immigrants are going to learn English. The question is: How can we come up with both a legal, sensible immigration policy?
OBAMA: And when we get distracted by those kinds of questions, I think we do a disservice to the American people.
I think this might be the first thing I've heard from a Democratic candidate that's really caught my attention this campaign. That he notices the ploy, has an articulate response, and has the cojones to actually speak up, wins him a bucket of points in my book. It doesn't even matter whether or not I agree with him, I'm just awed that someone has finally demonstrated an inkling of self-awareness.

1 Comments:

Blogger David G Terrell said...

I was inclined to agree with you, but then I read his essay in Foreign Affairs magazine. Oh, well. I found you through your Camp Slayer post. I'm going to headed that direction mahself. Thanks for the insight. brainman57

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Information Profile for gg00