Monday, August 27, 2007

Just Sayin': Anarcho-Syndicalist Edition

One of the upsides of living in the greater Seattle area is that I now have access to such wonderful establishments as Left Bank Books. I had a chance to pop by there the other day and I gotta hand it to the workers, they've put together a pretty nice shop with a good selection. But, looking around at all of the Wobblie-ish books and posters and whatnot, I couldn't help but feel like I was swimming through a thick stew of irony.

In the least the very existence of the shop is fraught with contradictions. Many of the books were printed by large publishing houses, I paid with credit card, the store has a web site, etc. A shop, dedicated in many respects to the demolition of corporations and governments, conducts its business via the fruits of the same entities with which it seeks to do away.

It's good that there's people dedicated to fighting the man, but sometimes the man does good work. I find it unlikely that say... computers... could have been developed (much less popularized) without the intervention of largish corporations. Ditto the Intarwebs. The folks at the book store might benefit from meditating on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Information Profile for gg00