Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Why I'm Getting An MBA

I now find myself having to defend my decision to go to business schools to my peers in the IT trenches. There's been an awful lot of "why would you want to do that?" and "you want to go into management?" and such and the like. There seems to be a pretty strong bias against management; too much Dilbert perhaps?

Anyway, the next time someone raises an eyebrow about the whole MBA thing I'm going to describe to them what I've done over the past two days: absolutely nothing. I've been trying to install Backup Exec for a client and spent 6+ hours on the phone w/ Symantec tech support (which, by the way, sucks ass in comparison to Veritas' support), only to finally be told that the reason that nothing is working is that the underlying Windows install is broken in some undefined way and that I should re-install the OS.

That's why I'm getting an MBA, so I don't have to spend the rest of my life wrestling with frickin' computers. If I'm going to waste 2 days I want it to be my fault; I don't want to be held hostage by recalcitrant computers. Why the hell would anyone want to do that? And I've got a good IT job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Information Profile for gg00