Friday, February 16, 2007

Internet Down... Must... Amuse... Self

This just goes to show that I was destined to be a monk or something and not an engineer. Slashdot has a post up asking "How Would You Deal With A Global Bandwidth Crisis?". You wanna know how I would deal with it? Probably by cracking open a nice bottle of Baco Noir, that's how.

Really, there are very few reasons that I absolutely must use the Internet, and most of those are work related. I'd probably miss the convenience of planning travel online, and I'd have to bank somewhere besides ING, but that's about the extent of it. Crap, I'm not quite 30 and I remember the days before email and cell phones. We only had wood-burning modems back then, and yet somehow we managed to find things to occupy ourselves.

I dunno... maybe its just because I'm an ops guy. I've had soooo many jobs where I had to get out of bed at 2 in the morning in response to my goddam Blackberry going off. Even now that I'm no longer in ops I still have to check my email regularly as a requirement of my job. As unreasonable as it is people expect to be able to reach me in a timely fashion through email. I kind of like the idea of the Internet becoming less pervasive, if only because it would mean I'd get part of my life back.

As usual, the commenters at Slashdot don't bother to address the question, which is why I set my threshold to "6".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Information Profile for gg00